Chia puddings are a popular choice because of how easy they are to make and the numerous health benefits associated with chia seeds. Chia seed puddings are often a great breakfast choice as well because they can be prepared and refrigerated overnight. But if you're looking for a chia pudding recipe that can be your next breakfast or tasty dessert, this chocolate dalgona chia pudding is the right recipe for you!
“The best things in life are sweet.”
Chocolate and coffee are a great pair, especially popular for desserts and drinks. And since dalgona coffee has been all over the internet, we couldn't help but taking the dalgona coffee drinks one step further by making an equally delicious dessert.
The creamy, frothy texture of the dalgona coffee is a perfect addition to the chia pudding. Give the pudding cups and the dalgona layer a good mix so you can taste the dalgona topping and the chocolate chia pudding in every bite. And how to make the chocolate-coffee pair even more exciting? Generously sprinkle cacao nibs on top of the dalgona coffee to give the dessert a crunchy finish.
When it comes to desserts, a valid question that comes to mind is “How healthy or unhealthy is this?” Chia seeds are extremely healthy with an impressive nutrient portfolio – high fibre, high protein, and loaded with anti-oxidants, they are a rich addition to your diet. Whereas cacao nibs also have multiple health benefits to offer. Cacao nibs, or crushed cocoa beans, are a great source of magnesium, fibre and antioxidants. We also made this pudding recipe with almond milk, so the dessert is vegan friendly.
If you enjoy dalgona coffee or haven't had a chance to try it yet, this recipe is a must-try for you! With just 10 minutes of prep time for the chia pudding and an additional 10 minutes for the dalgona topping, this recipe needs a total time of 20 minutes only. Why bother making coffee and breakfast when you can have both together in one?
Love the recipe? Mention or tag us @thekokosamoa
Serves 2 portions
For chia pudding:
- Chia seeds (50 g)
- Almond milk (200 ml)
- Cacao powder (2 tbsp)
- Maple syrup (2 tbsp)
- Instant coffee (2 tbsp)
- Sugar (2 tbsp)
- Hot water (2 tbsp)
- Organic Samoan cacao nibs (15 g)
- In a mixing bowl add the almond milk, cacao powder, maple syrup and stir until combined. Add the chia seeds to the liquid mixture and give it a good whisk.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes, observe that the pudding should already start to thicken. If the consistency seems too thick, add small amounts of almond milk and stir.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- When the pudding is ready, transfer it into two jars or dessert cups.
- For the dalgona topping, combine instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a mixing bowl in an equal ratio. Combine it with a hand mixer for 4-5 minutes until the texture becomes frothy. You can also mix by hand but note that it will take roughly double the time to combine.
- Top the chia puddings with a layer of dalgona and sprinkle generously with cacao nibs.
- You can use any milk of your choice, both plant based milk and dairy milk are suitable alternatives to almond milk depending on your preference.
- For the dalgona coffee, try to keep the ratio between instant coffee, sugar and hot water the same. In case of too little sugar, the foam consistency may not be achieved.
- This recipe is fully plant-based. Try to opt for vegan cacao nibs for the same.
Thank you to our friends Couple of Chefz for this delicious recipe. Check them out at @couple_of_chefz on Instagram